Platinum Trusted Contributor
elt1

What do people think of shake roof restoration? Are there any reputable local roofers that do it?

Silver Super Contributor
El_Katz

Re: What do people think of shake roof restoration? Are there any reputable local roofers that do it

What do you mean by "shake roof restoration"?  Pressure washing to clean it?  (Don't)  Replacing (toothing in) worn/cracked shingles?  Oil / UV treatments?  New caps?

I've had two shake roofs.... one was hand split and the other would be considered cedar shingles.  The cedar shingles literally rotted from moisture (house was in the woods).  The hand split shake roof required an almost annual inspection, normally resulting in repairs, replacements.  I budgeted about $1,500 a year for that roof.... but it would have been nearly $50,000 to replace it... so $1,500 a year seemed like a bargain.  The subsequent owners didn't maintain it and it's now toast. 

It's tough to bring them back from the dead. 

Platinum Trusted Contributor
elt1

Re: What do people think of shake roof restoration? Are there any reputable local roofers that do it

What do you mean by "shake roof restoration"?  Pressure washing to clean it?  (Don't)  Replacing (toothing in) worn/cracked shingles?  Oil / UV treatments?  New caps?

Yes all of that... Recomend anybody?  what is wrong with a lite pressure wash? Just to clean off the dirt. Not enough to damage the shakes

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

I've pressure washed decks and roofs, you use the same technics, got to be careful with the amount of pressure you apply because if you stay too long in one little spot (thinking the wood is soften by the exposure to the sun) you are in for a disaster as the scars will be visible.  It's a tedious job, with care, wood may be so soft there's a chance of breaking the shingles.

On decks, I have used bleach and the combination of both bleach and wood refinisher to leave them newer. I don't know and I haven't done it on roofs, it's a mess up there as the water product of that washing is nasty and the splashing can damage cars and whatnot's around the property. Actually, it's been 12 years since I did a pressure job on a house in Menlo Park where I got fungus on my toe nails that took me 10 years to get rid off. It comes and goes, the risks you run are sometimes not worth what you get paid.

One thing to consider is if the roof can support people up there and if the roof is not too much inclined, it gets slippery you know.

I painted a metal roof once, it was fun, I bent some of them tiles but it was during the period of 1998-1999 and people were snatching houses in a quick without any picky inspection.

You got a long set of water hose and a pressure washer? I have guns, I will travel:smileywink:

Silver Super Contributor
El_Katz

elt1 wrote:

Yes all of that... Recomend anybody?  what is wrong with a lite pressure wash? Just to clean off the dirt. Not enough to damage the shakes

Cedar shakes are soft and even a light pressure washing will "wear" the shingles.  Not necessarily a formula for longevity.  I used an oil (I'd have to find the brand) and had them spray it on the roof with a garden sprayer.  It had a light stain in it (for UV protection) and killed the algae/mildew/moss (and several silverfish gave their lives).  As the oil was absorbed into the shake, it seemed as though the dirty surface rinsed off (which I think was more biological activity than dirt) and the roof looked better (and had fewer problems) than my neighbors who thought that pressure washing was the answer. 

Unfortunately, no, I don't have anyone to recommend.  I presently have cement tile and my daughter has composition. 

Platinum Regular Contributor
tjh

Gold Super Contributor
norcalnative

[ Edited ]

Shake roofing is WAY WAY WAY beyond its working life at this point. Not to mention every city in CA wants them gone for fire reasons. Home insurance policies in many cases want them gone or you could face added insurance costs.

There is nothing worse for a roofing material in CA or for that matter anywhere than wood shake roofing.

Bite the bullet replace it with proper roofing materials your neighbors, insurance provider and city will all thank you for it.

Gold Super Contributor
TerriM

Why do people have shake roofs anyways?  They seem like a nightmare and a half.    Every time I see a shake roof, it's either so past its lifetime that it creeps me out or getting replaced.  

I mean, it's one thing to have a shake roof 100 years ago when you could chop down a tree and make your own roof, but now?

Platinum Regular Contributor
tjh

TerriM wrote:

Every time I see a shake roof, it's either so past its lifetime that it creeps me out or getting replaced.  

That's because the counties have been them except for the fire rated versions since the 1980s.  Thus, anything remaining is way past its usefull life.  I live in a neighborhood with plenty of 30 year old shake roofs.  It's amazing how many are still functional and not decrepit.

Not mine though.  New, arch grade composition installed 2010.  It was a deal maker in my case. :smileyvery-happy:

Gold Super Contributor
TerriM

tjh wrote:

TerriM wrote:

Every time I see a shake roof, it's either so past its lifetime that it creeps me out or getting replaced.  

That's because the counties have been them except for the fire rated versions since the 1980s.  Thus, anything remaining is way past its usefull life.  I live in a neighborhood with plenty of 30 year old shake roofs.  It's amazing how many are still functional and not decrepit.

Not mine though.  New, arch grade composition installed 2010.  It was a deal maker in my case. :smileyvery-happy:

I know that they can get replaced in the penisula, because I saw someone doing that in Atherton off El Camino.  Drove by the replacement.  Maybe they're the fire rated versions.  Stillll...  How long is that roof going to last????