Contributor
LifeAtMH

What are the implications of Megan's Law Offender in the neighborhood? Any Guidance, Pros and Cons?

I see a reference of Megan's Law Offender in front of my house I am looking for. Since this is under preliminary contract stage (still bank has to accept my offer), what are the implications? Regarding charges, it says the race (I do not quote here) and

======================================

Sex: MALE

Description LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH A CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
Year of Last Conviction
Year of Last Release
Offense Code 288.5(a)
Description CONTINUOUS SEXUAL ABUSE OF CHILD
Year of Last Conviction
Year of Last Release
DOJ is unable to determine if there are any subsequent felony convictions for this registrant at this time.

County: SANTA CLARA
Scars/Marks/Tattoos
LEG, LEFT, NONSPECIFIC

THE REGISTRANT MAY HAVE SUBSEQUENTLY RELOCATED

It did not give date of offense or month or year, just blank.

How long the record stays like this?

We, husband and wife, both above 50s, like the house and seriously thinking to move in there.

Occasionally, Our sons and other family members (Ages between 15 and 30) will stay with us for for a week or two.

Any Guidance, Pros and Cons?

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

Re: What are the implications of Megan's Law Offender in the neighborhood? Any Guidance, Pros and C

Ro12 wrote:

I see a reference of Megan's Law Offender in front of my house I am looking for. Since this is under preliminary contract stage (still bank has to accept my offer), what are the implications? Regarding charges, it says the race (I do not quote here) and

Sex: MALE

Description LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH A CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
Year of Last Conviction
Year of Last Release
Offense Code 288.5(a)
Description CONTINUOUS SEXUAL ABUSE OF CHILD
Year of Last Conviction
Year of Last Release
DOJ is unable to determine if there are any subsequent felony convictions for this registrant at this time.

County: SANTA CLARA
Scars/Marks/Tattoos
LEG, LEFT, NONSPECIFIC

THE REGISTRANT MAY HAVE SUBSEQUENTLY RELOCATED

It did not give date of offense or month or year, just blank.

How long the record stays like this?

We, husband and wife, both above 50s, like the house and seriously thinking to move in there.

Occasionally, Our sons and other family members (Ages between 15 and 30) will stay with us for for a week or two.

Any Guidance, Pros and Cons?

You know what? It's hard to prevent anybody from doing what he's going to do. What you can do is teach your kids to be active and get the shell out of there when somebody approaches them with the "I will give you a candy or the iphone5 if you follow me".

I think 15 years olds are smarter nowadays but that doesn't mean they won't fall for a trick or be victims of something. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. They are old enough to understand if you tell them not to approach certain home or talk to certain people. The problem is that these people keep moving and the data is not refreshed as soon as we would like it to be.

In my case, I would worry a lot if it's a children's predator, but we know those stay in jail very long. Sometimes the crimes are typified like that because a misunderstanding or people like mine coming from cultures where is OK to touch women's buttocks and they feel it's the same here. So, I would investigate about what the nature or the definition of the crime means.

The ones close to my home are not close per se. So, anybody walking by is going to be noticed right away. So, chances are we worry too much. Also, perhaps they can tell you if that person is already in jail after not learning his lesson?

Silver Super Contributor
ptiemann

Re: What are the implications of Megan's Law Offender in the neighborhood? Any Guidance, Pros and C

[ Edited ]

if you would buy a place without such an alert, the next day, such a person could rent next door..

there is not much you can do about it.

I have moved because 2 of my 3 neighbors changed within a month, and I did not like the new people. They were not offenders, I just did not like them.

Contributor
LifeAtMH

I read all the relevant details about Megan's Law in the internet. 

The one last question, will it limit the buyers due to nearness of such person?

Will it affect the future sale value, if I buy? Since the amount is high, I just want to know before making a final decision.

Thanks in advance.

Nanomug

There is no guarantee that someone wont move in next door to you that is on the list.  You could buy in an area that has no offenders only to find out down the road when you go to sell that the new guy next door is an offender. You can only investigate and decide what you are comfortable with.

One of the due dilegence you should do is to walk the neighborhood and talk to those outside.  Most will tell you the good, bad and the ugly.  Do that a couple of times and you will see what living in that neighborhood will be lik.

Silver Super Contributor
ptiemann

Ro12 wrote:

Will it affect the future sale value, if I buy? Since the amount is high, I just want to know before making a final decision.

Thanks in advance.

it probably will not affect the future sale value, but, if you were to sell, some buyers may back out once they see that.

I sold a house (I was the owner) with a predator living across the street.. I had been unaware of it.

The first buyer backed out, and I believe they backed out because of the predator.

The second buyer did not mind since they had no children, and they actually paid $9k more.

This was in 2010, and the price was around $320k in East San Jose.

I would not worry about it too much.. you are buying the house primarily for yourself, right?

By the time you sell, the predator may have long moved.

buyinghouse

Ro12 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Ro12:

You might be the only one checking at this Megan Law because of the event of buying a property near this felon. Have you thought about it? Say that others are like you, same age and no kids, they won't be checking for it. You lose. Like others said, there's no way in this earth you can control that. Your kids are old enough and so you are you.

As I said, reading the crime report, it must been something I know well if the felon is from my culture. So, these guys are going to come and go.

I think they show a picture of the alleged criminal. Print one and show it to your kids so they don't get caught up in a crime situation. There's nothing else we can do or comment.

Good luck!

Gold Super Contributor
TerriM

I take a look at the crimereports.com and quantity of Meghan's law Offenders nearby.  If it were like Meghan's law offender central, I wouldn't buy there, but there is always one or two nearby.  

As a woman, my biggest concern is an offender that has commited an assault rape.  Because I'm pretty protective of my kids, I'm more worried about people who've used force on those they didn't know than people who've abused a family member or "dated" someone under the age of 14.  I would show my kids pictures of people they should avoid if there were someone in close proximity.  

All that said, if it says that person may have relocated, I'd go to some neighbors and bring a photo/name and ask about the person.   That means the person moved, you're looking at last known address, and if the person doesn't even live there anymore, what's the point of worrying?  We had someone like that nearby, and a quick internet search brought up a listing that seemed highly like to be their new address.  Makes you wonder whether anyone really cares to keep tabs on these people.

Trusted Contributor
Jordan1

People worry too much.  I would just stay vigilant.  The thing about megans law is a lot of people get caught up in it that commit small infractions.   A couple of examples are someone getting drunk and peeing in public (like at a park in the middle of the night) this will get you put on megans law list.  Another is if you are 18 and your girlfriend is 17 and you have some form of physical interaction (does not even have to be intercourse) and this will also put you on the list.

Another aspect is that offenders cannot live within a certain distance of school's and probably 90% of housing is within these zones.  This causes a lot of people on Megans Law to become transient since they cannot afford any place to live.  Most of the people you see are those that lived in there house before the law and did not have to comply with the distance from school regulation.

Teach your kids and practice yourself to be vigilant to your surrounding, don't walk everywhere with headphones on starring at your phone. 

Contributor
LifeAtMH

Nanomug, ptiemann, buyinghouse, TerriM, Jordan1,

Before posting the issue in this forum, I was thinking that I made a mistake. After your review, I feel better and convinced that it is just walking in a downtown! Either day or night, we must be watchful/careful as I do not know who is walking next to me!!

Thank you all