Silver Contributor
bld999

Water Depth Gauge, 4Q 12

Choose a zip and mouse over the map.

http://www.zillow.com/visuals/negative-equity/#4/39.98/-106.92

Super Contributor
PoorOwner

Re: Water Depth Gauge, 4Q 12

interesting presentation, but the color charts might just as well represent home prices directly and no one would be able to tell a difference.

Platinum Trusted Contributor
elt1

great map...It is a sub prime indicator...Notice how the RBA has recovered and the better areas in the East Bay have also....Location, location, location .....This map shows where the most desirable areas are....the redder the less desirable....Makes it easy to buy...This map makes a mockery of Schiller and his theory of one size fits all regarding wage inflation vs house prices

Super Contributor
Meguro

Thanks for sharing.  This is an interesting map and good reference.

Contributor
LurkieLoo

elt1 wrote:

great map...It is a sub prime indicator...Notice how the RBA has recovered and the better areas in the East Bay have also....Location, location, location .....This map shows where the most desirable areas are....the redder the less desirable....Makes it easy to buy...This map makes a mockery of Schiller and his theory of one size fits all regarding wage inflation vs house prices

is there some reason why you bold all of your posts?  do you think that what you have to say is more important that other people?

this is an honest question.

Silver Trusted Contributor
SamShuehRealtor

[ Edited ]

Worthless chart! 

One should anaylyze the data it before sharing it with others.

It looks interesting but not sure the data are even close to reality. Completely off!

PALO ALTO 94303 "21%" home owners are underwater?  They are enjoying highest and best ever price.

MT VIEW      94043  "8%"   home owners are underwater?                        

The same goes with just about every neighborhood showing we are in worse shape than a year ago.

Sam Shueh

Keller Williams Realty-Cupertino

Platinum Trusted Contributor
elt1

OftenOften I type on and iPad, sometimes bold is the only way it works...sorry it is so offensive...too bad Redfin isn't iPad friendly...besides it is easier to read, for us old folks ...how can writing type be offensive?
LurkieLoo wrote:

elt1 wrote:

is there some reason why you bold all of your posts?  do you think that what you have to say is more important that other people?

Super Contributor
Curmudgeon

Sam, 

94303 include EPA.  I'm not so sure they are at peak values again.  The rest of Palo Alto show being back at the peak.  Similarly, I'm not sure the crappy areas of Mt View had fully recovered, at least by a quarter ago which is where this data is from. 

I do have doubts on the data; among other things, I suspect it may include HELOCs which are not fully drawn down and/or can't be drawn down now.  It would be very difficult to get actual HELOC balances from public records.  Using the max HELOC amounts would significantly overstate the degree of underwater properties.

Contributor
LurkieLoo

[ Edited ]

elt1 wrote:
OftenOften I type on and iPad, sometimes bold is the only way it works...sorry it is so offensive...too bad Redfin isn't iPad friendly...besides it is easier to read, for us old folks ...how can writing type be offensive?
LurkieLoo wrote:

elt1 wrote:

Who said anyone was offended?  Thanks for the explanation.  Yes, these little boxes you have to type Redfin forum posts in seem to be prone to spelling/formatting/etc. errors.  Don't blame you there.

Someone gave me an iPad 3 a few weeks ago.  Tried using if for a while but now it serves as a nice coaster for food and drinks on my coffee table . :smileyhappy:

I prefer my trusty Lenovo X1 Carbon as I enjoy typing and multi-tasking.

Silver Contributor
bld999

Curmudgeon wrote:

I do have doubts on the data; among other things, I suspect it may include HELOCs which are not fully drawn down and/or can't be drawn down now.  It would be very difficult to get actual HELOC balances from public records.  Using the max HELOC amounts would significantly overstate the degree of underwater properties.

According to the Zillow footnotes on method, they use data from Transunion. Why would it be more difficult to get heloc balances than say, credit cards or first mortgages?