Contributor
hethafetha

Re: Walnut Creek neighborhoods

thanks for the links WCreeker. now that you mention unincorporated areas, can you tell me just what that means? i don't feel like i really have an understanding of it. why would someone choose or not choose to live in an uncorporated areas? are there benefits to living in or out of one? why are some pockets unincorporated? the only thing i know as a difference is that the county sheriff polices the unincorporated areas but we can still use the fire dept, schools, pay the same taxes. is that right? what am i missing? btw, the hill is in an unincorporated area. do you live here too?

Silver Contributor
WCreeker

I live in Walnut Creek, but not on the hill.

The Walnut Creek police log doesn't cover the unincorporated areas, since CoCo sheriffs patrol those areas, so if someone was looking for info on crime, you wouldn't find it there.  That's why I included the other site.  There are lots of pockets of unincorporated in Walnut Heights, Parkmead, South Walnut Creek, etc.

I lived in an unincorporated section of Walnut Creek before, now I'm in the city.  Other than streetlights and more frequent street sweeping I don't see much of a difference.   It will be nice to vote in city elections, though, since those who live in the unincorporated sections don't have a voice, even though the actions taken by the city council certainly do affect them as much as those in the city limits.

Super Contributor
PatentAvenger

Thanks for everyone's responses thus far.  So what is everyone's impression of the location of this house?

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Walnut-Creek/687-La-Vista-Rd-94598/home/870220

Seems like it is very close to Marshall, which is a busy street.  Although it doesn't look like a big street on the map, I presume it is busy because it is the road everyone takes to the elementary school?  The house also looks like it is close to the swim club, which may add some noise as well?  We do like to spend time in the backyard and are somewhat noise sensitive (not overly so, but road noise/fumes would definitely be a deal breaker and constant noise from a swim club would be too, although the occasional sounds of kids playing is probably not a deal breaker). 

Thanks!

Silver Contributor
WCreeker

Road should be fine because you're off Marshall (and the higher up Marshall the better).  It's the school traffic and also because it's the only access point for the neighboorhood, literally everyone who lives that has to drive up and down Marshall.

It does seem close to the swim club.  What that means is from early June through the end of July, there will be some Saturday mornings (starting at 8:30) and Wednesday evenings where there will be a swim meet there.  You can probably check the swim club's website to find out how many home meets they have.  You'll have crowd noise/cheering and the sound of the starting gun for about 4 hours each time. Every afternoon starting in May until school gets out (running from 3:30 - 6:30ish) and every weekday in the summer you'll have swim practices (starting around 8:00 a.m).  You'll also get a lot more traffic and parking issues on swim meet days. 

I lived much farther away from another WC swim club and could still hear the coachs' voices and the starting horn from my house.  It was far enough that it wasn't bothersome, but they're definitely audible!  The good thing is that it's only the summer months.  It looks like there is a bit of a hill between you and the swim club so that may help the sound travel other directions.  I'd ask the neighbors if they can hear the swim club.  The swim team's spring clinic started today, so you might want to arrange a visit in the afternoon to see what the noise level is like.

Not sure of your price range, but this house is in a very nice location:  http://www.redfin.com/CA/Alamo/132-Post-Rd-94507/home/1527533,  as is this one:  http://www.redfin.com/CA/Walnut-Creek/115-Poppy-Ct-94596/home/1894926.

Super Contributor
PatentAvenger

Thanks again.  The Poppy one is on our list too.  Post looks very close to the freeway, which would be a dealbreaker for us.  How about the Northgate neighborhood?

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Walnut-Creek/957-Snyder-Ln-94598/home/1362376?utm_source=myredfin&utm_mediu...

Silver Contributor
WCreeker

I'm strongly biased against Northgate, so I'm probably not the best one to ask.  I think the Mt. Diablo school district is terribly run and while the Northgate schools seem fine, I think that's demographics coming out in spite of the district.  I personally don't want anything to do with that district, and really the only reason I'm living out here is for the schools, so that's going to override everything else.  Also, having to drive up and down Ygnacio Valley Road with any regularity would cause me to go postal.  The only things out there are a couple of markets and a Panda Express.  You have to go to downtown Walnut Creek for anything else, and it's so much harder to get over here from there.

To my uneducated eye property crimes (car and house break ins) seem higher over there too.

Regular Visitor
PHill_Home

I agree with WCreeker on the Mt. Diablo SD, although we have several friends with kids at Valley Verde and Walnut Acres who are happy there. We bought a place on the Concord/WC border and are very happy with it. It was less than 1/2 of what we would have paid for a place in the WC school district. Our kids are in private school in WC though, so schools weren't a big concern. If you are planning on going to public school, WC school district is the best choice. Good luck in your hunt!

Contributor
user485928450

[ Edited ]

Rossmoor FTW, although I hear it's mandatory to "Stay off the lawn"

New Visitor
cecilia15

Hi there! I'm considering to lease a house at 1084  Winton Dr, but I'm concern that is borderline with Concord. I have a 3 and 6 year old and heard that Bancroft Elementary is good.

I would love to have your opinion! Thanks,Cecilia

Silver Contributor
WCreeker

cecilia15 wrote:

Hi there! I'm considering to lease a house at 1084  Winton Dr, but I'm concern that is borderline with Concord. I have a 3 and 6 year old and heard that Bancroft Elementary is good.

I would love to have your opinion! Thanks,Cecilia

I don't know that much about that part of town, but Bancroft has a good reputation.

The city of Walnut Creek has about a month's worth of police reports up on their website.  Wouldn't hurt to browse through them just to get a feel for the neighborhood.