Silver Trusted Contributor
Michelle1x
Gold Super Contributor
Jil

Re: Vallejo

Out of all the four, 297 Genoa Ct seems to be better. Rest of them not good, by look and feel. Higher lot is not useful in rental homes as the focus is on rent (ROI) and resale value. Rent, I do not have any idea at that location. Newer home (1988) is better for resale value. However, I am not expert (I do not know) of Vallejo area. Better to hear from local experts...

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

Remember, what you need to have is a crystal ball to tell you if sprawling will make this place go high. I witnessed many people fleeing the bay area after selling their condos or houses and getting a good cut of the pie, then, they  bought in areas like Fresno, Visalia, Hanford, Porterville, and resell quick, I mean you need to be cautious and time the market or you will end up with nice homes but no income or maybe a loss if rental is your aim. The last ones who arrived there, I met them, totally losers! I told them don't do it, but again, with money in their pockets, they thought flipping was the trend to go.

I think Vallejo was one of the first cities to file for BK or something like that not long ago. But, believe me, as any investor, you have to look out and buy and sell quick. The problem is that we don't know for sure "what's going on" with the market as everything seems to go up, up and up. I guess the law of gravity has to take action one of these days, when? I don't know? Will it happen? I don't know either! :smileyvery-happy:

Gold Contributor
mediaguru

Vallejo is a high-crime area. Higher crime than almost anywhere else in the Bay Area... about on par with Richmond.

There are certain neighborhoods and pockets, however, that are okay.

https://www.crimereports.com/?forceCenter=true&lat=38.10278729509784&lng=-122.23383691936033&zoom=13

Silver Contributor
New2BA

Hope tjh is ok :smileyindifferent:

Gold Contributor
mediaguru

I don't think his Glen Cove area is as bad as most of Vallejo... central, north, and west seem to be the worst parts.

Still, if you go back a few months (about 6 months) on the crime map, you will see about a dozen burglaries, a dozen stolen cars, half a dozen petty thefts, a few assaults... (and there are a couple of registered sex offenders in the neighborhood)

Compare that with where I bought a house this year:

https://www.crimereports.com/?forceCenter=true&lat=38.510115&lng=-122.449959&zoom=14

So, it's still a "bad neighborhood" according to my personal threshold.

Silver Contributor
New2BA

mediaguru wrote:

I don't think his Glen Cove area is as bad as most of Vallejo... central, north, and west seem to be the worst parts.

Still, if you go back a few months (about 6 months) on the crime map, you will see about a dozen burglaries, a dozen stolen cars, half a dozen petty thefts, a few assaults... (and there are a couple of registered sex offenders in the neighborhood)

Compare that with where I bought a house this year:

https://www.crimereports.com/?forceCenter=true&lat=38.510115&lng=-122.449959&zoom=14

So, it's still a "bad neighborhood" according to my personal threshold.

Guess it just depends on what you're used to.  I went out wine tasting on 'Silverado Trail' this past summer (didn't realize people actually lived there!)- far away but beautiful.  Not a connoisseur, but I did enjoy the Sinskey Vineyard...yummy appetizers

Gold Contributor
mediaguru

[ Edited ]

Well, an average 2 grand theft autos per month (for a total of just a few blocks / one neighborhood -- and it's one of the BETTER neighborhoods) seems like a lot to me.  Maybe I've lived a sheltered life...

Super Contributor
Metalhead

Crime in Vallejo is pretty bad, although I agree the Glen Cove area is pretty nice.  It is really a bit closer to Benicia than Vallejo.  I went to a kid's birthday party there and the rhe views of the Carquinez Strait were pretty cool.

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

Gee you guys! I lived in East Palo Alto for almost 10 years.