Regular Contributor
Parag

South San Francisco

I've been looking at cities with easy commute in to SF and decent neighborhoods etc. So far I was looking at Alameda, then someone recently suggested I look at South San Francisco as well. I always thought of South SF as a blue collar area - but was told there are nice parts to it as well.

Anyone have any insight / pointers on South SF? Is the fog really bad? What are the demographics / schools like? Any resources on getting additional information? I did see that South SF has seen a lot of price declines, relative to other parts of the Peninsula. Why is that?
Regular Contributor
xynny

Re: South San Francisco

Well, I worked in South San Francisco for about a year. That place is mostly industrial, and the nicer newer homes are still quite expensive. It's declining compared to the rest of the peninsula because there is still space to build and I guess there are a lot of foreclosures, too. I am about to publish the number of troubled home sellers in South San Francisco this week. This is my report from last time:

http://sanmateore.dreamhosters.com/2008/07/june-2008-update-part-3-san-bruno-to-woodside/
Regular Contributor
Parag

Thank you. Within SSF, is there any sense of nice areas versus bad areas? What about close to SSF Bart compared to the area around Colma Bart?
Regular Contributor
xynny

[ Edited ]
I'm not too sure about the specifics since I never lived there, but all I heard recently is that you should probably stay away from the Colina condos in Westborough because of their crazy assessment fees. Here's an article from the Examiner about it: http://www.examiner.com/a-1419534~Dangers_hidden_in_homeowner_groups.html

Before that Examiner article was published one of the homeowners sent me an email about the problems there and I published it here. http://baglady.dreamhosters.com/2007/12/18/reader-email-beware-of-crappy-condo-assessment-fees/

Message Edited by xynny on 08-05-2008 05:20 PM
Regular Visitor
betty

We just moved from SF to SSF and one of our criteria was a neighborhood which was close to the freeway access as I work in SF and my husband works in Burlingame. We didn't really like the Westborough homes since they didn't feel like they had character. We found a great place in what is termed old SSF in a neighborhood known as Parkway. It's a great little area. We found homes that have a lot of character and good bones. Walking the streets all the homes are unique and quite charming. We're close to 101 and 280 and SSF BART and it's great and there's not a lot of fog since we're shielded by Sign Hill. Most of the homes in this neighborhood were built in the 20's and 30's and although our home isn't as newly updated as say the ones built in the last 20 years we still love it.
Regular Contributor
Parag

Betty

Thank you for the description of your neighborhood; it sounds very idyllic for us. I am having a hard time trying to position it on the map. Can you give me a few cross streets / landmarks that I can use to search the vicinity for homes? Do you mean the area between 101 and 280? Thanks.
Regular Visitor
betty

Hi Parag,
Some local streets would be Grand Ave, Miller Ave, Spruce (North), Poplar, Parkway, Elm. There was recently a house we saw up for sale on Almond as well. We're able to hop onto 101 off of Miller Ave or onto 280 from Chestnut. There are also some nice homes by Orange Park but we were looking for a little quieter area and love where we are at. I think the neighborhood also is called old SSF/Rocca. If you're looking into new construction, we had also looked at homes in the Stoneridge neighborhood which is off of Hillside behind Elk Lodge which were built in the 80s. I think some of the street names up there are Mountain and Carnelian.
Regular Contributor
Parag

Thanks for the details, Betty. That was really helpful.