Regular Visitor
hitnrun

Should we confront SJ city council that wants to build mega mall instead of houses?

http://1sqmile.blogspot.com/2012/03/city-to-proceed-with-45-acre-mega-mall.html

Here we are with astronomical house prices, with buyers falling over each other to find a place to live and the City uses the last few remaining acres of land to build malls. Insane! The last thing we need in this area is another mall while people are forking out 3x the national avg for a place to live, be it rental or purchased.

I'm not experienced in this area, but is there a way to oppose the City's move politically? We can surely get the numbers. Just look at the number of buyers in open houses. If somebody can take leadership we might be able to force the City Council to change its stance. Any takers? Opinons?

Super Contributor
Curmudgeon

Re: Should we confront SJ city council that wants to build mega mall instead of houses?

It takes a balanced tax base to make a city work.  San Jose has provided much more than it's share of the housing stock for the region (housing takes more in services; retail/industrial provides more in taxes).  Housing in San Jose exacerbates the north/south commute issues of the area.  Where we really need more/denser housing is Santa Clara/Sunnyvale/Mt View/Palo Alto. 

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

Re: Should we confront SJ city council that wants to build mega mall instead of houses?

My 2 cents.

I think that the best idea and stupid at the same time is to stop these big conglomerates like Google from grabbing all space available that could be use for housing development. Traffic would improve if some jobs went to Gilroy and Morgan Hill.