Regular Contributor
tikuy

Security camera system recommendation

One of the things to do since I moved into a house is to install a remote camera system to monitor the front & side entrance, maybe the driveway & back yard as well, so probably around 4 cameras to monitor.

I don't think I need a sophisticated recording feature, just a simple switching mechanism to feed the video to a PC. I can probably figure out a way to stream the video to a phone or tablet devices but having an app to integrate all that is a bonus.

I just want to be able to check who is at the door when the doorbell rings & look around when the motion light goes on.

I am looking for fairly inexpensive system say $500, but must be able to work outdoor wirelessly (figuring out the power source is tricky)

I was curious what people actually used.

Gold Super Contributor
Jil

Re: Security camera system recommendation

I bought a lorex system from costco, and it is working fine.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-Eco2-16-Channel-Security-System-with-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-8-High-Resolut...

Again, I really do not require one as I have ther security system from ADT alarms (Not video security).

Regular Contributor
tikuy

Jil wrote:

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-Eco2-16-Channel-Security-System-with-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-8-High-Resolut...

Again, I really do not require one as I have ther security system from ADT alarms (Not video security).

I think I was looking at this particular model online. You need to connect each camera with a video cable to the main unit, correct? That could be a huge installation hassle. That is why I prefer a wireless camera solution, but I am not sure if they are available at this price point.

For my home security system, I have the sticker solution :smileywink:

The previous owner had the alarm system installed, but we never had the system activated.

I want the camera for convenience rather than a security purpose.

Gold Super Contributor
Jil

tikuy wrote:

Jil wrote:

I think I was looking at this particular model online. You need to connect each camera with a video cable to the main unit, correct? That could be a huge installation hassle. That is why I prefer a wireless camera solution, but I am not sure if they are available at this price point.

For my home security system, I have the sticker solution :smileywink:

The previous owner had the alarm system installed, but we never had the system activated.

I want the camera for convenience rather than a security purpose.

I tried wireless - swann brand - first. You will not have clear quality due to interference. It is still at my shelf..Even though it works! Wired one with good installation is better for quality.

Regular Contributor
Rippling

[ Edited ]

I have a hybrid system, since for me wiring the whole house for cameras would be impractical.

So I have 4 IP friendly wireless cameras that are easy to connect to my Windows Home Server and then to my Tablets/Phone and record movement, etc.   This is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Internet-Surveillance-Microphone-monitoring/dp/B003LNZ1L6/ref=sr_1_3?...

You can tilt/zoon from you phone/tablet, it will send you twitter messages when it detects movement say 2AM/or when on vacation, etc.  I have one in my garage, one in my family room, one in the suite, one in the entry hall, semi concealed.   

And I also have a single dedicated wireless camera just for the front door to monitor packages, who's at the door, intercom features, etc.  This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Lorex-Wireless-Accessory-Camera-LW2711AC1/dp/B0058VUY84/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qi...

I also use this cheap light to boost the camera's IR when it's absolute dark.  You can turn it on and off to save batteries (say when it's halloween, etc.).  It's very bright and it helps a lot with cheap cameras or dark areas where you don't need much monitoring, just plenty of lights to help you navigate there (say side gate where trash cans are/going to go, etc.).

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-Wireless-Spotlight-Photocell/dp/B002P6EQPW/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=13...

Edit: why two system?  well, the IP cameras are slow to get it on I feel, than a dedicated monitor (that will also record movements to an SD card, only revieable on the computer, though, monitor is only for LIVE functions).  When someone rings your bell, you just look at the monitor and you see what's up.  No need to look for the cell phone, tablet then unlock it, then find the app, select the camera, etc.   The dedicated camera can also turn itself into an IP camera if you plug it to your homeserver, then you lose the instant monitor abilites, but you add one more camera for when your vacationing, etc.  

On vacation/at work, you'd prefer the wireless IP cameras.

New Visitor
EagleEye

I've been using the Logitech Alert™ - 750i Indoor Master - HD-quality Security System for about 6 months. All the cameras are wireless and it seems to fit your needs. A bit pricey but worth the quality and remote access. Take a peek on the Best Buy website

Regular Contributor
tikuy

EagleEye wrote:

I've been using the Logitech Alert™ - 750i Indoor Master - HD-quality Security System for about 6 months. All the cameras are wireless and it seems to fit your needs. A bit pricey but worth the quality and remote access. Take a peek on the Best Buy website

They also offer an outdoor camera model.

Connecting through Homeplug networking is one option I had not considered, but it may make the most sense since the camera must be connected to a power source anyways. Definitely something to look into. Thanks for bring up this option.

Contributor
mike33

Here's my 2 cents as I've done some security work for companies (never home use)

I've seen a few places get robbed and the good ones know just where to go. They will stop by your house and knock on the door and while waiting will check out if you have cameras outside. If you answer they will just ask for someone random and say they have the wrong house and walk away. They will notice you have a camera so if they decide to break into your house they will make sure either they are masked or will take the unit that is recording the video. 

So you have 2 options.. put the recording unit some place very hard to get to or get an online service. I use the following

https://www.dropcam.com/

They offer a $10 plan per month that saves a weeks worth of video. Then each camera after that is $5 more a month. I have 2 one that covers my front door and the other the back yard. It works great and if anyone ever gets in at least I know the video is safe somewhere in hopes it can lead to an arrest. 

It also has apps that allow streaming right to the phone/tablet. 

Silver Super Contributor
El_Katz

I recommend a Smith & Wesson and a doberman.  Much larger deterrent than a camera that can be compromised with a stick, WD40 spray, or a jammer. 

Some young couple on my way to work, who have the misfortune of living near an intersection of two busy streets, made the mistake of displaying their wealth on their driveway and visible through the picture window.  Apparently, he's since had several issues with the local entrepreneurs borrowing his property for extended periods without his permission.  Now they've installed  an electric gate blocking their driveway and an iron 6' fence that closes in his yard for that desirable "prison yard" ambiance.  Then he had cameras installed outside (which were probably stolen).... which he now has installed inside and pointing out through the windows so they can't be tampered with... so the blinds are open - and da m n, he certainly has one big TV in there.....   and with the traffic, any vehicle going by will likely trigger the motion sensor and he can get streaming traffic info from in front of his house.  Yeah, he sure made an impression with his M3, Porsche, and BMW motorcycle on display for all to see.   

The best burglary defense is to not make yourself a target.  There's numerous articles on how you should set up your house and personal  habits.  Timers, parking cars in garages, not leaving garage doors open so people can have plain view into your stuff.  Then there's the door-to-door solicitors or those people who ring your doorbell and, when you answer, say "sorry, wrong house".  When a door-to-door solicitor comes by, I ask to see his permit.  If he doesn't produce one, I call the cops - who quickly oblige in order to make sure the permit fees keep coming in.  He's likely casing the neighborhood.  Don't leave newspapers all over the front walk.  Stop the mail online.  Have a neighbor haul out the trash if you're gone for awhile.  Put a radio on a "talk" channel and have it play inside the house periodically (multiple alarm settings). Put in Medeco locks - properly installed with the metal plates screwed into the framing.  Lock windows.  Most homes aren't really broken into, but the perps are "invited in" by unlocked or improperly locked portals. 

A thief sees a camera, he pulls up a hood/ski mask.  What do you have - other than what already would have been obvious and that's your home's been B&E'd?    In the 8 minutes they are in the house, they'll go through your stuff and be gone - even before the cops can post.  Some advice columns even say to leave junk jewelry in easily accessible locations - like a jewelry box - and toss a few 20's into the sock drawer of your dresser.  They then think they've found it all and move on.  Most likely, they're a tweaker looking for drug money - unless you have a collection of Picasso's in your family room. 

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

For daily time, we have our dear Skipper. That dog barks to the minimum shadow thinking it's the darn cat that eats his food:smileyvery-happy:

He is so fond of our Indian neighbors that when he hears them opening the sliding door that faces the side of our house (weird set up) he goes and says hello to them for the rest of the time they are out there talking (actually yelling, that's the way they talk). I yell at him but the scurries away, then once he hears me closing the sliding door he goes back at it. I can't tell my neighbors to talk lower because then I can start a fight. I can't teach my dog to be quiet because then he won't know if it's OK to bark at strangers.

He is our best alarm, I am inside, I can hear him barking and his barking can be heard like coming from the front because he is always sticking his snout under the side fence gate and barking to whoever walks on the sidewalk.

Oh boy, 21 years ago I used to work in a mansion where Picasso, Salvador Dali, and other painter's paintings were hanging on the walls like nothing. I was told by my boss to be aware that the first one to be picked up and water boarded would be me in case any of them gone:smileyvery-happy:  Had I known that that's why you buy cameras, to take pictures, I would be showing them to you.