Visitor
faji_tama

Room rental lease agreements for primary residence in SF?

[ Edited ]
I'd like to rent out some rooms in my home, and I'm curious what other live-in landlords do in this situation, when it comes to writing up a lease agreement.

Standard lease agreements via programs like TrueForms, or from organizations like SPOSFI and SFAA cover rentals for an entire unit, but not the particulars of renting out an individual room, with shared common areas, and potential roommate rules.

Do you guys use a basic lease agreement with an addendum to specify any particulars, or are there room rental-specific lease agreements out there? If so, where? Thanks!
Gold Super Contributor
norcalnative

Re: Room rental lease agreements for primary residence?

Check your local renters rights. SF renters are very different but no idea where you are.

I rented rooms for nearly 8yrs as a renter - all my contracts except SF were very simple and basic. Never once had any issues saved piles of money - and was gone nearly all the time to start with as should most single professionals. LOL

Visitor
faji_tama

Ah, sorry, I forgot to specify this is in SF. I know SF is very pro tenant, but I've heard and read that renters with live-in landlordsactually have more limited rights when it comes to things like evictions.
Gold Super Contributor
norcalnative

Your still a land lord - and must know all the renters rights. I highly recommend this http://www.sfaa.org/index.html

For you it might seem over kill but - your 100% covered and will have zero issues. My SF room rental I had a full rental contract which was 8 pages long covering all of my rights and the land lords rights. As a rental owner in SF today - my contract is the standard 15 page SF contract all land lords who know their business use.

Don't be scared by SF renters rights -there are just as many laws that protect you the property owner also.

Good luck!