Contributor
Coastie

REALTORS CALLING TO BUY HOMES NOT FOR SALE?

We just a very random call today from a realtor saying they were interested in our home. The funny thing is..... Its not for sale.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

Re: REALTORS CALLING TO BUY HOMES NOT FOR SALE?

Yes it  does.  They were knocking on my door the other day.  There is a lot of competition for listings out there.  They gave me a flyer that said, "We have a buyer that is interested in your neighborhood.  He will pay top dollar for a home here".

Silver Trusted Contributor
Michelle1x

I am receiving daily solitications from realtors and more recently, individuals interested in buying my primary home and persons interested in buying *and* renting one particular rental I have (in a nice part of San Jose).

My primary residence doorstep is covered with cr@p from realtors to the point that is very annoying.  I have received packets of seeds for a garden, a tape measure, reusable grocery bags (with the realtor logo on them), packets of pens, picture frames with the family of the realtor framed in them, and large quantities of pre-printed pads of paper- all from realtors.  Individuals just knock on the door and leave a hand written letter in the mailbox, which I don't mind.

I've never had letters on a doorstep to actually rent a property until this year.  The only reason I knew about it is because I had to go to that house to show an electrian the box, and the "we want to rent your house" letter was taped to the door.  It makes me wonder how many other times letters like this appeared on that particular house.

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

Basically, it's the way to market yourself if you are a Realtor or a newbie. I did it before, I went knocking on doors, and last year I did it only on short sales. I am still waiting for them to call me:smileyvery-happy:

I am an Amway guy, I will try to sell you anything. But if I fear something or somebody, is the person that is telling you "I am OK, I don't have any problems" and in a threatening demeanor chase you out of their properties, all of that, when you have their paperwork saying they stopped paying a year ago.

I have been talking to some realtors and they tell me most of the times you hit payday knocking on doors, but 99% is a waste of time. You have to have a good circle of influence, your friends and acquaintances, they are the ones that will give you a lead.

As far as I am concerned, I am ready to answer to them when they knock on my door. $600K, cash, you pay closing costs and realtors, take it or leave it! :smileyvery-happy:

"I am just a dreamer, but I am not the only one"..........

Silver Trusted Contributor
Michelle1x

buyinghouse wrote:

I am an Amway guy, I will try to sell you anything. But if I fear something or somebody, is the person that is telling you "I am OK, I don't have any problems" and in a threatening demeanor chase you out of their properties, all of that, when you have their paperwork saying they stopped paying a year ago.

Well be careful with that buyinghouse, because I have one loan officer that pulled my credit last year and discovered some erroneous lates on one mortgage (not the one I was trying to refi), a result of a principal recast I did with a mortgage servicer who obviously didn't do too many of those.  For 4 mos it showed me as a few hundred "late" on that payment until they cleared it up.

The loan officer (who is also an agent, I discovered later), decided to persue me to sell that house as a sort of firesale, because he had a "teacher" who was lined up ready to buy that house for slightly more than the outstanding mortgage- since he concluded I was in some sort of financial difficulty (despite the fact that I have multiple mortgages and a credit score in the 700s somewhere despite these erroneous lates). 

Well duh, the outstaning mortgage on that house is $330K and the house would sell for $700K, today (he conveniently didn't mention the current market value, since the zillow estimate is still pretty low).  Needless to say I determined this guy is something of a sheister and dropped him from my portfolio of loan officers.  And I wonder if that "teacher" ever really existed.

Its hard to conclude what someone's individual circumstance is from public records.

buyinghouse

Michelle1x wrote:

buyinghouse wrote:

Well be careful with that buyinghouse, because I have one loan officer that pulled my credit last year and discovered some erroneous lates on one mortgage (not the one I was trying to refi), a result of a principal recast I did with a mortgage servicer who obviously didn't do too many of those.  For 4 mos it showed me as a few hundred "late" on that payment until they cleared it up.

The loan officer (who is also an agent, I discovered later), decided to persue me to sell that house as a sort of firesale, because he had a "teacher" who was lined up ready to buy that house for slightly more than the outstanding mortgage- since he concluded I was in some sort of financial difficulty (despite the fact that I have multiple mortgages and a credit score in the 700s somewhere despite these erroneous lates). 

Well duh, the outstaning mortgage on that house is $330K and the house would sell for $700K, today (he conveniently didn't mention the current market value, since the zillow estimate is still pretty low).  Needless to say I determined this guy is something of a sheister and dropped him from my portfolio of loan officers.  And I wonder if that "teacher" ever really existed.

Its hard to conclude what someone's individual circumstance is from public records.

I met some of those LA's. They were making tons of money, but they never learned the lesson, they went ahead with their plans of living a lavish life thinking all of that loaning market would be hot forever.

Gold Super Contributor
norcalnative

Our agent did this for us last summer. We also sent a mailer to targeted area and specific homes fitting the right floor plan. We had two responses one was someone that wanted nearly 2X the value he laughed and said sorry not interested but good luck with that. The 2nd was a person debating about selling and wanted to know what the market value was on the home. In the end we ended up with a property that got a mailer and a door knock but never responded.

Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

[ Edited ]

Michelle1x wrote:

buyinghouse wrote:

When I was buying my current house The bank that pre-approved me did a chedit check.  I was surprised to find a 5 year old bill from comcast from an apartment complex that I used to live at, but not the same apartment.  I disputed it, gave them all the relevant infomation such as I never lived at that address, never authorized any service, etc, and they still would not take it off my credit report.  I ended up paying $125 that I did not owe because I did not have the time to fight it anymore.  What a screwed up system!

Platinum Trusted Contributor
tjh

A couple of realtors stop by my 84 year old mother's townhouse in Clayton regularly to see "if she want's to sell" because "they have a buyer".  They tell her that it might be time for her to move into a retirement home and they'd be happy to help her get there.  One has even offered to take her on a visit to a local, active seniors complex.

It makes me a bit nervous because they always stroke my mother's ego telling her what a wonderful home she has and how beautiful it is and how it would bring top dollar.  She is a bit obsessive about one's home, remodeling and curb appeal and judges people by their homes.  So, it really makes her feel special when these realtors say wonderful things about her place.  Enough so that she has invited them to see the heavily remodeled interior.  She is susceptible to this kind of manipulation.

I've asked her to have them call me.  And boy, are they going to get an earful from me if they do.  I'll likely be reporting them to the board or realtors and to the county elder abuse agency, which has been given some new teeth in the last few years because of cases that came to light.

buyinghouse

Gee! Did I see Foxlies in there?:smileyvery-happy:  You know, the birth.......ers:smileyvery-happy: