Contributor
wave

Peninsula house

I am looking to buy a house on the Peninsula. I was wondering what are some of the more affordable areas? My budget is around $600k and I would like a single family house that is well maintained. Old is OK as long as it is in good condition. I would like a yard and to be in a neighborhood with mature trees and low crime. My ideal area ranges from Burlingame to Redwood City. I am having a tough time finding anything at all in my price range let alone something I want. Thanks for advice.

Contributor
entendu

Re: Peninsula house

-Desired sqft?

-Desired bed/baths?

The penninsula is pretty empty in all price ranges; yours is a very very competitive range. I'm running into the same issue myself in the south bay. Although this time of year isn't ideal to be selling your house so there's probably a little bit of pent-up stock.

Contributor
wave

I am flexible in terms of sq ft and bedrooms and bathrooms. 1100 sq ft would be about the minimum for me I think. I could live in a 2 bed 1 bath but would greatly prefer at least 1.5 bathrooms. I also like the middle areas the best around San Mateo, Burlingame, Belmont, but those areas seem pricey.

Trusted Contributor
NetReality

For that price range you are pretty much confined to Redwood City.  Saw some renovated 3/1's there for under $600k in nice starter home neighborhoods.

Trusted Contributor
NetReality

Also, Dec/Jan is always the lowest months of inventory every year.  Wait a couple months...

Contributor
wave

NetReality wrote:

For that price range you are pretty much confined to Redwood City.  Saw some renovated 3/1's there for under $600k in nice starter home neighborhoods.

Thanks for the advice. What are the names of these nicer starter neighborhoods? I'm not that familiar with Redwood City, it is a little south for me but I could compromise.

Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

[ Edited ]

You can go to www.city-data.com to get information about the neighborhood.  Go to www.crimereports.com to find out what the neighborhood's crime levels are. You can use your own neighborhood as a baseline.  Check out google's street view to see what they look like.  I did all these things when I was looking for a home and wound up choosing Evergreen in San Jose, a neighborhood I did not consider before.

Gold Super Contributor
Jil

wave wrote:

NetReality wrote:

Thanks for the advice. What are the names of these nicer starter neighborhoods? I'm not that familiar with Redwood City, it is a little south for me but I could compromise.

Search the forum with "RWC", you will see all about Redwood City.

Some others links of the same topic.

http://forums.redfin.com/t5/Bay-Area/What-to-buy-for-750k-on-the-Peninsula/m-p/347094

Contributor
wave

Looks like there are a couple of homes in the Shoreview area of San Mateo, anyone know this area?

Gold Contributor
mediaguru

I don't know that area, per se, but I like San Mateo, in general.

Not sure about the land logistics (fault lines, flooding, soil integrity, etc.), but as far as bang-for-the-buck goes for primo location, I feel like it doesn't get much better than San Mateo.  The town itself isn't very happening... very low-key and suburbanite.  But what a great location to get on the road and pop up to SF, over to Oakland, or down the Peninsula...