Super Contributor
donjumpsuit

Opening up Ceiling, exposing trusses on a single story estimate?

Hi guys,

(By guys I mean buyinghouse, elt1, tjh, and ptieman)

I was wondering what the ballpark monetary figure would be to get an engineer to design the opening of a typical one story home so that the roofline is exposed inside (ceiling).  Probably drywall with baffles and a smaller attic space towards the top or connected to the bedrooms which will probably keep the traditional ceilings.  

Have the architect/engineer draw up plans to install a few new engineered wood trusses and a couple skylights.  How much would someone like this charge.  Just for reference, instead of saying $200-300 sq/ft, assume the plan would be on a normal 3/2 and estimate the cost.

Also, how much would the contractor charge to come in and install those beams and make sure everything fit according to the plan.  

The interesting part is assume that I have taken all the drywall down and the existing insulation out, and there needs to be utmost minimal prep work/ demo. 

I would finish the drywall, insulation and baffles.  

Your input is graciously thanked beforehand.  Go.

Platinum Regular Contributor
tjh

Re: Opening up Ceiling, exposing trusses on a single story estimate?

Have you ever thought about only removing the ceiling sheetrock, leaving the trusses in place, insulating underneath the underlayment (good discussion of the pros and cons of insulating against the roof deck or leaving a gap for venting at Fine Homebuilding's website) and cleaning up the "attic" space's wiring, HVAC ducts, etc.?  Think of it looking like the ceiling in a  Home Depot, COSTCO or a city loft.

I came up with this idea as a way of opening up the ceiling in my master bedroom with the least amount of disturbance to the existing structure when I was in the attic pulling wire for a ceiling fan installation.  It's played in my mind ever since. 

It wouldn't be the open beam rafter structure I'd really like, but it wouldn't involve reworking structural elements either and thus, might be cost acceptable.  And, there wasn't that much within the attic - a minimal amount of wiring that would need to be reworked and the HVAC duct to the far end of the bedroom ceiling, that would have needed reworking to make it cosmetically acceptable.  I was thinking I might even be amenable to living with a central, round metal duct down the center for the HVAC, just like a city loft.  I could paint the ducting, ceiling and trusses all white to make them look less industrial and clean up the look.

Just one of those daydream exercises.

Platinum Trusted Contributor
elt1

Look in the attic and see what has to be removed. If the joists are small they will have be beefed up by adding 2x10's next to them, to allow for R30 insulation and to provide structural strenght to span up to 16-20'

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

Not my field of expertise as elt1, tjh and PT.

I am of the same idea, why new if you can find a good carpenter/contractor to make the skylights or whatever you need.

Gold Contributor
mediaguru

Be sure if you do this that you also ensure you have good roof ventilation... this sounds like it would create a "cathedral ceiling" style, which is notorious for trapped moisture problems (and we just had to remedy this ourselves on the house we bought) if roof vents and good airflow are not present.

elt1

Ventilation can be solved by standard construction techniques, such as a ridge vent. The big design problem with exposing an existing ceiling is the picth. Standard 4-12 pitch is too low for a traditional cathedral ceiling. The desired affect is much better with 5-12 and steeper. In additon dormers look like crap on a 4-12 pitch.

CKY
Contributor
CKY

Not replying to OP's question, but I'd like to know the options or estimates as well if someone has done something like this before.

In my house only the kitchen has attic above it while the rooms next it have cathedral type ceiling. I'm wondering if it's possible to raise the kitchen ceiling by removing the attic so that the kitchen and the surrounding rooms have matching cathedral ceiling. This is something my wife wishes when we remodel the kitchen in future, but I have no idea how much extra it will cost to raise kitchen ceiling. 

elt1

CKY wrote:

Not replying to OP's question, but I'd like to know the options or estimates as well if someone has done something like this before.

In my house only the kitchen has attic above it while the rooms next it have cathedral type ceiling. I'm wondering if it's possible to raise the kitchen ceiling by removing the attic so that the kitchen and the surrounding rooms have matching cathedral ceiling. This is something my wife wishes when we remodel the kitchen in future, but I have no idea how much extra it will cost to raise kitchen ceiling. 

If the rafters are the same in the kitchen as the other rooms, removing the ceiling should be easy but messy..attics are filthy and usually full of dust, rodents, bugs, roofing debris.....

Platinum Regular Contributor
tjh

elt1 wrote:
should be easy but messy..attics are filthy and usually full of dust, rodents, bugs, roofing debris.....

LOL:  You've obviously BTDT.  :smileyhappy:

I always chuckle a bit this time of year when the insulation ads come out with pictures of a guy in a hard hat, rolling out batt insulation in an attic that is almost as clean as an operating room.  Along with plenty of light, solid flooring and enough headroom to kneel.

Have they looked at the all too common truss construction in the Bay Area?  Belly crawl between truss chords where it's dark, hot, dusty and dirty. That crud you just felt between your fingers is mouse or rat turds.  Hope they don't have hantavirus!

My living room has scissors trusses for a cathedral ceiling.  The "crawl space" between the chords is minimal.  And, the sloping bottom chords don't help any.  I got pretty cut up by the connector plates that extended above the 2 x 4 ceiling joists the last time I crawled that space to pull wire for a living room ceiling fan.  I kept sliding down the slope and the sharp edges of the connector plates at the center that protruded above the joint on the bottom chord would gouge my shins every time I crawled forward.

That job calls for a nice, skinny kid!  :smileysurprised:

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

tjh wrote:

elt1 wrote:
should be easy but messy..attics are filthy and usually full of dust, rodents, bugs, roofing debris.....

LOL:  You've obviously BTDT.  :smileyhappy:

I always chuckle a bit this time of year when the insulation ads come out with pictures of a guy in a hard hat, rolling out batt insulation in an attic that is almost as clean as an operating room.  Along with plenty of light, solid flooring and enough headroom to kneel.

Have they looked at the all too common truss construction in the Bay Area?  Belly crawl between truss chords where it's dark, hot, dusty and dirty. That crud you just felt between your fingers is mouse or rat turds.  Hope they don't have hantavirus!

My living room has scissors trusses for a cathedral ceiling.  The "crawl space" between the chords is minimal.  And, the sloping bottom chords don't help any.  I got pretty cut up by the connector plates that extended above the 2 x 4 ceiling joists the last time I crawled that space to pull wire for a living room ceiling fan.  I kept sliding down the slope and the sharp edges of the connector plates at the center that protruded above the joint on the bottom chord would gouge my shins every time I crawled forward.

That job calls for a nice, skinny kid!  :smileysurprised:

You mean those reports from the inspectors saying "Crawl space blah, blah". Meaning they didn't want to get in there?