Visitor
fifisf

Nude sunbathing in backyard

Are there laws against sunbathing naked in your backyard? I'm in San Mateo County. My backyard can't be seen from the street, but the neighbors might be able to see if they look over the fence.

Gold Contributor
HomeBuyer25

Re: Nude sunbathing in backyard

Now I know I am in California :smileyhappy:

Gold Super Contributor
Jil

HomeBuyer25 wrote:

Now I know I am in California :smileyhappy:

Me too!:smileylol:

Gold Regular Contributor
manch

fifisf wrote:

Are there laws against sunbathing naked in your backyard? I'm in San Mateo County. My backyard can't be seen from the street, but the neighbors might be able to see if they look over the fence.

Depends on whether you are attractive or not.

Gold Contributor
HomeBuyer25

[ Edited ]

Manch, 3 words: Beggers Can't be Choosers

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

If you are female, in your 30's, beautiful as a Hollywood actress, there's no penalty for that............  :smileyvery-happy:  

Seriously, I think you get into a legal issue here. Check with your neighbors if there are any kids, I mean little kids or you will get in trouble. Check public indecency, something about it or if you know a friend lawyer ask him/her the probabilities of police being called to have you not do that.

In my opinion, I wouldn't give a dang if somebody sees me walking naked in my backyard. But as we know, fences are not that tight, sometimes they are broken, so neighbors can peek through them and see you like that and start to build benches higher than your fence to watch you sunbathing. That is if you are a female, if you are a man, wow! Disgusting! :smileyvery-happy:

Sorry, it's my nature, I can't stop joking!

Do a Google research before you get in trouble. I read about building a private fence but I don't know.

Gold Super Contributor
TerriM

Laws or no laws, seems like there's some common sense here:

Is it a private area?  It seems that as long as you have an expectation of privacy, you would be able to do it, but if it's obvious that you're visible from the street, the park, or a school next door, you're likely to get in trouble.  If someone has to peek over the fence to see you, they shouldn't be peeking.  Seems like the same rules would apply to nudity in the house.  If you're wandering naked from shower to laundry room to get some clothes, can you really get in trouble if someone by chance sees you that one minute through the window?  If you're intentionally "hanging" out at the window for hours at a time waiting for someone to see you, then I hope you'd get in trouble.

Secondary concern:  Do you want photos of your nude sunbathing plastered all over social media if someone thinks it's funny to post it?

Silver Trusted Contributor
mac94010

You can do whatever you want to in the privacy of your own home.  Nude sunbathing is no big deal.  They are right, this is California, just do it.  What do you care? what do I or anyone have the right to care?

I rather you do it in the privacy of your backyard instead any place I might see you.

Silver Contributor
toogood

whats the house address ... if i can watch then i dont think it is illegal.

Platinum Trusted Contributor
elt1

Under the law it is all about intent...And if someone is offended or not...http://www.shouselaw.com/indecent-exposure.html
Since most people are not offended, men were regularily naked in the Castro..SF passed a law against it. I doubt if they enforced it.. State law allowed them to arrest these guys before, but they chose not to..It really comes down to whether your neighbor will be offended, or turned on by it....