Regular Contributor
wc_netzero

Multi-family homes, locations

Is Redfin interested in handling multi-family home transactions? (duplex, tri-plex, or 4-up?) Also, would Redfin suggest neighborhoods to look at? Thanks ahead of time for the responses.
Redfin Associate Agent
JanelleS

Re: Multi-family homes, locations

Howdy.

Unfortunately, Redfin cannot assist in the purchase of Multi Family listings. We hope to add search and negotiation capabilities for Multi Family later this year, but are not quite there yet.

In terms of what neighborhoods you should look at... Well, what are you looking for? Good schools? Coffee shops? New construction? Older home? Urban or sub-urban? Open space?

Redfin's site is more factual about real estate and not so much about how an area "feels". We do offer local community & school information for each listing. This tells more about the people, weather, crime, housing and schools in a particular area. This can be found on the right side of every listing, in the middle of the page under "Local Community & Schools".

Perhaps some Forums users could suggest a "desirable" area after you give us some idea of what you are looking for. Also, perhaps some of you users know of good online resources about neighborhoods.

Janelle Saylor | Redfin Open Book Manager - Listings
Redfin Open Book
Regular Contributor
wc_netzero

I hope it is sooner rather than later for at least the duplex option, and at least for negotiations. There are other ways to find the duplexes.

My folks are thinking of moving out here, and we need separate households. If I can put them next door, that would be ideal.

In terms of neighborhoods, I would be looking for something safe and quiet, not too far from 101 and Lawrence, with good schools (at least elementary and preferably middle school as well), and reasonably good senior services.

Thanks for the advice.
Contributor
Jim-Holt

As far as location, I would recommend focusing on the areas with Sunnyvale Middle School. I have provided a link below which shows the map of the Sunnyvale School District. The four elementary schools that feed into Sunnyvale Middle are all good options. While Cherry Chase and Cumberland are known to be the best, it may be a bit more difficult to find a multi family home in those areas. Therefore, I think location wise and based on the availability of duplexes, I think focusing on the Ellis and Vargas areas will be your best bet. http://sunnyvaleschool.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=592&sc_id=1186763829 Sincerely, Jim Holt Redfin Direct Agent
Jim Holt | Redfin Team Lead Agent
See all my deals & reviews
Visitor
Tris

Try that same ole http://www.realtor.com to view multi-family listings.

If you don't know neighborhoods you're likely gonna put yourself at risk. Maybe you don't know how to calculate capitalization rates or evaluate books. If you don't know what you're doing I recommend you seek out an excellent agent. However that does NOT mean you needn't learn, else you're gonna have to "TRUST ME" and you know where that leads. CONSIDER: If you wanted to hire an attorney in a critical case would you first ask how much they'll charge? Would you first make inquries to locate the attorney that wins?
Regular Contributor
wc_netzero

Thank you, Tris and Jim. I am not planning to rent it out, just to put my folks next door. Just looking for that wall in between - no rent charged. Under such a scheme, my understanding is that it is treated just as one would a single family home. So, luckily no complex books. Are there any parts of Campbell that you would recommend? This would be closer to 280 and Lawrence, but that would work too. I totally agree that knowledge and experience (and loyalty) are extremely important.