Contributor
jonProjects

Interactive map of how rich/poor every Bay Area neighborhood is

I found this site called Rich Blocks, Poor Blocks that has the median income for every neighborhood in America -- including, of course, San Francisco, Oakland, and the surrounding areas. I bet it would be useful to show to house-hunters and anyone else looking to find a new place to live.

You put in an address and the map zooms in to the location. You can click each neighborhood to see what its median income is.

Here's San Francisco, for example.

Gold Super Contributor
Jil

Re: Interactive map of how rich/poor every Bay Area neighborhood is

Very nice share. Thanks for sharing.

Contributor
jonProjects

Thank you very much

Silver Contributor
New2BA

I like these maps, but I don't know if I'd use them in finding a neighborhood to buy RE.  Some areas could be hard to categorize due to marked income diversity, for instance on campus:  

Census Tract 4226, Alameda County, California.

Median household income: $6,125.00 (+/- $188,911.00)   <- at least they give you an idea of the variance

Also interesting to note that the downtown sections of cities in CA usually have lower income (not so on east coast).

Gold Super Contributor
Jil

New2BA wrote:

I like these maps, but I don't know if I'd use them in finding a neighborhood to buy RE.  Some areas could be hard to categorize due to marked income diversity, for instance on campus:  

Census Tract 4226, Alameda County, California.

Median household income: $6,125.00 (+/- $188,911.00)   <- at least they give you an idea of the variance

Also interesting to note that the downtown sections of cities in CA usually have lower income (not so on east coast).

This gives some idea about RE prices, it can be used a guide or pre-screening purpose. For realtors it may not help as they know these areas very well. For newbie or learners, it is very useful.

Platinum Trusted Contributor
tjh

I can't beleive that moving from Antioch to Vallejo took me up in the world.  From $59,841 to $87,990.  But, had I taken one of the condos just four blacks away instead, I would have been really "mov'in on up" to a $103,806 neighborhood.

I think it's the retired people on my street holding my back. 

:smileyvery-happy:

Silver Contributor
Neptune__

According to that map, residents who live near Stanford are dirt poor.  :smileyvery-happy:  yeah right

Silver Contributor
DealHunter0

[ Edited ]

Neptune__ wrote:

According to that map, residents who live near Stanford are dirt poor.  :smileyvery-happy:  yeah right

Most people who live near Stanford (i.e. on campus housing in 94305) are grad students... they really are dirt poor...

Contributor
jonProjects

eh, they are college kids, right?

Contributor
MrWow

DealHunter0 wrote:

Neptune__ wrote:

Most people who live near Stanford (i.e. on campus housing in 94305) are grad students... they really are dirt poor...

This is common to all college areas, stanford,berkeley,davis etc and near by areas as they live on financial aid and 20 hours of work...low paid jobs.