Silver Regular Contributor
Fishmarty

How do they find out the owner of a property

I own a few homes and it seems the local offices never have trouble to local me. 

I received a letter last night informing me that one of my homes in that city is inside the area they will renovate sewer lines and invited me to go to a evening meeting/ hearing next week. 

Last year I received another letter from garbage company (Applied Waste Management) that my renter of another city missed payment. 

I didn't ever live in these homes and I am in different city. 

I guess whenever I record my deed in the county, my primary address shows in the file. 

If I listened to the street folks and believed their tricks in hiding my rental income from day one, I wouldn't be here to chat with you long :smileysurprised:

Gold Super Contributor
norcalnative

Re: How do they find out the owner of a property

your city Tax records

We had a empty house next to us in SF owner had fallen and was put in a home. Started having issues with squatters breaking into the home police couldn't do much about it given we couldn't find the owner to confirm if said squatter had the right to be there etc. We went to city hall and looked up the Tax records to see if the tax contact information would lead us to a family member etc? In our case the records were not updated tax contact was still the empty house.

But as long as your tax bill is mailed to you at your address then your easily found.

Fishmarty

norcalnative wrote:

your city Tax records

Are you sure? Could a gargage company have access to my state tax record (as I stated before, AW sent letter to my primary address)?

Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

I just received a letter in the mail today.  It says "I have just listed 1598 Ivycreek circle in your neighborhood.  Be the first to see it before it is listed on the MLS network.  Open house saturday, 12/23 ,1:30 - 3:30pm.  Food and drinks will be served."

The interesting thing about it was it was addressed to my wife and I personally.  The neighbors also  got them personally addressed.  Even the renters got mail addressed to the owner.

Silver Contributor
WCreeker

sheriff wrote:

I just received a letter in the mail today.  It says "I have just listed 1598 Ivycreek circle in your neighborhood.  Be the first to see it before it is listed on the MLS network.  Open house saturday, 12/23 ,1:30 - 3:30pm.  Food and drinks will be served."

The interesting thing about it was it was addressed to my wife and I personally.  The neighbors also  got them personally addressed.  Even the renters got mail addressed to the owner.

I get those too.  Direct mail companies sell lists sorted all sorts of ways, including by census block.  Anyone can buy a list.  The owner of a house is public record, so the mailing list companies probably get them from that, somehow.

Fishmarty

You missed my point.

Read me original post carefully.

Your name John Dole and live in Milpitas and you have another property in Fremont with a renter. Applied Waste sends a mail to your Milpitas primary like "your Fremont renter missed garbage payment. Please pay or we put a lien on you".

This is very specific not junk mail. They know you in and out.

How do they get all these details on you. A garbage company should not be allowed to access your tax records, right?

Silver Contributor
WCreeker

Fishmarty wrote:

You missed my point.

Your name John Dole and live in Milpitas and you have another property in Fremont with a renter. Applied Waste sends a mail to your Milpitas primary like "your Fremont renter missed garbage payment. Please pay or we put a lien on you".

How do they get all these details on you. A garbage company should not be allowed to access your tax records, right?

When your renter signed up for garbage service they probably asked do you own or rent.  They said rent.  Then, when they didn't pay, they looked up, in the public record, who the owner of the house is.

Heck, I can look on blockshopper and find the names of every owner of a house on a certain block.  I can look on property shark and find the name and address of an owner of a house even when that address is not the house in question.   The info is freely available.

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

I had to spend my last bullets on this........:smileyvery-happy:

When I was doing loans, escrow companies would visit us and give us presents, you know, pens, erasers? and then they would tell us if we needed some "farm lists" just ask for them. In the so called farms, you can see who is who, phone numbers and so. I would make so many calls to many people just to hear "oh, somebody already called us so we are going with him":smileyvery-happy:

Then, last time we were checking our property taxes, where you input your address and gives you your lot number, well, you just put any address and it will tell you if the tenant is the owner or not because if it has a secondary address it means the secondary is where the owner lives.

A few to go isn't sheriff? :smileyvery-happy:

Gold Super Contributor
Jil

[ Edited ]

WCreeker wrote:

Fishmarty wrote:

You missed my point.

When your renter signed up for garbage service they probably asked do you own or rent.  They said rent.  Then, when they didn't pay, they looked up, in the public record, who the owner of the house is.

Heck, I can look on blockshopper and find the names of every owner of a house on a certain block.  I can look on property shark and find the name and address of an owner of a house even when that address is not the house in question.   The info is freely available.

Fishmarty,

IIRC, California Property ownership is public record. With APN or Address, any one can get the owners name and the title registered address from calfornia public records search.

I had a dispute with my landlord, sunnyvale 12 years before, and the manager never gave the landlord address. For small claims court, they suggested me to go through county documents using parcel number and I served a notice to the landlord. Finally, I own, but the landlord did not pay me money, I filed a lien on that property....

Same is the case for you, if renter does not pay, it goes to collection department and they take the owner's record to serve the notice...It is very easy as california state owners records are public. IIRC, Texas protects ownership info, but not california.

Recently, due to such issues , especially garbage/waste disposal, many cities in santa clara enforced that garbage/waste disposal payment must be paid by landlords and not by renters. Till last year, my renters paid. This year onwards, we pay garbage/waste and collect from rent!

Hope this gives you some idea.

Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

[ Edited ]

4 to go.  I sent you a private message.  Maybe I will quit when I hit 1,000.  I never want to get that crappy yellow color.