Contributor
JT510

Fremont High Schools

[ Edited ]

After Mission San Jose, how would you rank the rest of Fremont's High Schools and why? Are there any close ties? Thanks.

Contributor
Kookaburra

Re: Fremont High Schools

If you go just by API scores, after Mission San Jose High comes Irvington high. Irvington high also has better diversity. But homes in irvington high school area are being overbid by 50-70 K. Next is American high, their API is increasing every year., this year alone by 21 points I guess(and has been making a good progress every year). So we can expect them to be on par with Irvington high in the next few years, though it might be difficult to reach the levels of Mission . American high also has a good diversity. I see more and more Asian crowd settling in the American high school district...many nice pockets that go to this school, and homes are more affordable. Ardenwood, Forest park elementary, Northgate (Warwick elementary), quail run community(also warwick), Brookvale (brookvale elementary) are all nice pockets that go to american high. Also, all these elementary schools are 9/10 rated. 

Next comes Washington high, though at one time, washington high was better than american high. The change in demographics might have given American high an edge and its API scores are lot better than washigton high now. I think there is another igh school...Kennedy high (not sure on that one),  

Visitor
strikeone

I've heard sometime back they overflowed some students from Mission San Jose to Irvington High School, that might've helped irvington high. Just a thought...

Regular Contributor
MZW

Here are Fremont High School API. As you know, API is not absolute, but a quite good measurement of a school quality.

In last 13 year, both Irvington and American improved about 10 point every year. Judge by momentum, those two schools will reach "Very good" level in a few year, if Irvington has not be rated yet. It seems to me American high has more momentum. All feeding elementary schools are above 850 API. Two of elementary school are rated 10, two are 9 and two are 8. When a high school reaches API 800, many resident will stay, instead of seeking a better school. It used to be that parents of Forest and Ardenwood elementary school students move to a better high/Jr. high school when their kids approach Jr. high age. But not any more.

Mission San Jose High 951
Irvington High 874
American High 831
Washington High 790
John F. Kennedy High 749

Regular Contributor
MZW

Major boost to Irvington was boundary change a decade ago. Weibel was changed to feed to Irvington. Weibel was the best of best elementary school at that time. AFAIK, overflow barely happens and is feeded Grimmer elementary, the poorest performance school, judging by API.

Contributor
Kookaburra

Yes, I heard that ardenwood and forest park  crowd is not moving anymore, and sending the kids to American high. American high API is surely going to increase in the next few years. The houses in AHS area are more affordable now in comarison to irvington , mainly because of the high school API scores. So, investing in AHS area now  makes more sense , because as the API increases, your house value increases too. Once AHS api reaches somewhere around 875 (i am guessing in another 3 years), houses in area feeding this school will become a little more unaffordable. Always good to buy in areas showing an upward trend, rather than in areas which have already reached a level of saturation like in Mission San jose.high.

Regular Contributor
MZW

I remember that you bought a house in American high school area about half year ago. I bet that you have been living there for a few month now. What's your experience in that school area. I don't live in that school area.

Regular Contributor
MZW

I mean to Kookaburra

Contributor
Kookaburra

They

Its been good so far,  neighbors are nice. House values seems to have improved too. I haven't heard of any crime in and around the area I live in. I have come to know a few parents whose kids go to american high, and their experience has been positive. They say there are a few bad apples, but you it depends on the kid to hang out with friends who have the same academic goals. if you get into wrong company, its is the same no matter what school. Some areas like Mission might have fewer bad apples, in comparison, but they are there in every school. you have to pick and choose your friends. But overall, i like the area, but not many places to hang out , like a downtown .