Visitor
Lechium

Flooring referral?

We are planning to redo our floor with laminate. We looked into Home Depot, but don't have good feeling about it. Can anyone recommend flooring companies? 

Silver Regular Contributor
sfsfr

Re: Flooring referral?

I had a great experience with Bay Area Floors & Design in San Mateo. The sales staff is very knowledgeable about design and trends. Also they have many samples in the showroom of all different types of flooring (hardwood, engineered floors, laminate, carpet). The prices are fair but not the cheapest.
Visitor
Vegialy

I recommend Barsegian Floor Covering. He is an expert.

Regular Contributor
ANOM

Standford Carpets on El Camino in Palo Alto - very competitive rates. We wanted something basic, cheap and quick so I do not know how wide their selection if you want smth specific

Gold Super Contributor
norcalnative

Your location might be nice to know. Many of the really good highly respected local guys only do local work. So knowing your area helps.

Visitor
Lechium

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the referrals. We are looking into those companies.  We can use a few more.

Our location is peninsula.

Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

Are you a DIYer?  If you are, shop for the kind you want and order it from www.wayfair.com.  I got mine there and it was about 35%-40% off home depot prices.

Super Contributor
fareastwarriors

All Star Team Construction based out of Alameda is a solid choice.

Gold Super Contributor
norcalnative

Just had our flooring delivered at 10am today. Cabinet maker was by to take some final measurements for cabinet work being done. Busy day

Tip on flooring have the flooring sit inside the house for two weeks or more prior to installing it!!! This allows the wood to aclimate to the moisture content and temp of the house reducing your potential issues with expansion or contraction caused by the difference in your house vs the warehouse!!! Most lower end installers do not do this.

Also if you have heavy moisture issues under the house this could impact your wood flooring in a negative manner. We are also doing wood floors in another family home this spring which has heavy moisture issues under the house which has been corrected with all new french drains 4ft down around the parimeter of the home. However! due to the history this particular home has with things staying wet under the home - we plan on installing 6mill black plastic under the home covering the dirt to help cut down on the moisture threat to the new flooring. This is something our floor guy has done for many years and has found that it does help control moisture issues where homes have had problems. Easy enough to do in our case the crawl space is very open and easily accessed etc. So we are doing that our selves.

Silver Contributor
SidewalkHomes

We also looked into Home Depot.  We went with Lumber Liquidators and used their referred source for installation, which turned out to be awesome!  Watching the installers install laminate made me appreciate how much work was involved.  The installer told me that with Home Depot, they basically had to quote the lowest price to get the job - and so he stopped bidding on Home Depot jobs because he couldn't make a profit on it.  As a realtor, I want the job done professionally so that when I sell the place the floors looks marvelous, which they do.  The laminate at Lumber Liquidators was cheaper than at Home Depot, the installation was more, but at the end of the day is was very much worth it to us.