GFW
Regular Visitor
GFW

Duplex Listings

Hi Redfin,

I love the site, and use it almost every day to check for listings. Keep up the good work.

Lately, I've been considering buying a duplex with a family member in Rockridge. I notice that Redfin doesn't have multi-family homes listed. I've also searched on Realtor.com, but they seem to have *very* few listings as well.

I was wondering if multi-family homes are not normally listed on the MLS (which is, I believe, the source for both Redfin and Realtor.com), how I would find such listings, and whether there is a website or search engine you recommend. Are these kinds of property considered commercial property? How do you recommend I proceed.

Best,

George
Redfin Associate Agent
JanelleS

Re: Duplex Listings

Thank you for your support, George.

Anything over a single family residential listing is considered multifamily. A duplex is officially a multifamily listing.

Although these types of properties are supported by the MLS as residential listings, Redfin's website and brokerage predominantly deal with single family residential, and is not ideally suited for most multifamily transactions. Since we don't support these listings on our site, we generally do not deal in these types of transactions.

I was able to find a site called RealProxpex that matches buyers and sellers for commercial real estate. Good luck.
Janelle Saylor | Redfin Open Book Manager - Listings
Redfin Open Book
Regular Contributor
wc_netzero

The realprospex seems to be for transferring office buildings, etc. Are there any real estate agencies that you know of with expert in multi-family (duplex, triplex, quads, etc.). Or perhaps I missed something on the realprospex site?

Many thanks.
Redfin Associate Agent
JanelleS

Strange - I can't get the realprospex site to load on either of my browsers to double check it...

However, I did find another site called home.com that has multifamilty search option. They also deal with vacant land, forclosures, and commercial real estate among other property types.

I haven't heard of a site devoted to multifamily real estate transactions, which certainly doesn't mean they are not out there. 

Anyone in cyberville have a good lead?
Janelle Saylor | Redfin Open Book Manager - Listings
Redfin Open Book
Regular Contributor
lareguy2012

I know this post is from several months ago, but loopnet.com has listings of multifamily property nation (and worldwide) . I was also a bit disappointed that redfin doesn't have multifamily as I really like the service