Contributor
BA_buyer

Do you have to order meth inspection when you buy a house?

Is there a need in meth inspection if sellers disclosed that they are not aware of any drug usage/production in the house  ? We did not have this kind of inspection because everything happened so fast, and we are first time buyers. Now I'm worried that maybe we should have done it. Every house has its own history, and we know nothing about the people who have lived there... 

Silver Super Contributor
El_Katz

Re: Do you have to order meth inspection when you buy a house?

BA_buyer wrote:

Is there a need in meth inspection if sellers disclosed that they are not aware of any drug usage/production in the house  ? We did not have this kind of inspection because everything happened so fast, and we are first time buyers. Now I'm worried that maybe we should have done it. Every house has its own history, and we know nothing about the people who have lived there... 

Is there any reason to suspect that there was any drug activity?  If not, don't waste your money.  The police department / neighbors would be a place to inquire first. 

Contributor
BA_buyer

If there was a police report, this house would be in the meth lab list, and it is not.  I believe that the neighbors would also know about it if there was some incident. I don't think they know much, the guy lived solitary life. People respect privacy these days, but I'll ask them anyway when I have a chance. It's just if the previous owners were a nice couple with kids, I would have peace of mind.

Silver Trusted Contributor
SamShuehRealtor

search local paper type in the address of interest it should show up if tragic things happened there.

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

BA_buyer wrote:

If sellers are the ones who lived there, do you expect them to say oh yeah, we used to make our living out of selling meth?:smileyvery-happy:

Jokes aside, it's hard to find a well established lab meth in the hood as always they are set up in remote areas where the smell doesn't give them out. Of course there are exemptions to the rule but that's what I think.

Now, if you move in and start to feel too happy, mellow, and everything is rosy, maybe there was a meth lab there :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
BA_buyer

Could you recommend a company that do such testing? I tried to google, but could not find anything in Silicon Valley area. Are there any reliable test kits we could buy? 

Silver Trusted Contributor
Michelle1x

The people you use for meth inspections are the same people you use for mold inspections or fire damage repair, etc.   ServiceMaster and Servpro are the big national chains that do this but there are some local companies that do better work for cheaper... ask your real estate agent for a rec.

Gold Super Contributor
TerriM

Neighbors may be helpful, but do not rely on the meth-lab list to assume a house is clean.  Meth labs only end up on the lists if someone reports it, and not all are reported.  Also, houses may be "scrubbed" and then don't need to be put on that list, but scrubbing often fails to remove the chemicals to the point of making the house safe.    From what I understand, the house really has to be gutted.

I don't know if this would work, but I had a theory that if you could swab the vents (which are probably not cleaned when someone prepares a house for sale) with a test for meth itself, it'd give you a good indication of whether or not to pursue a meth lab test which I had been told was costly.  I figure, but I don't know for sure, that if someone is cooking meth, that there's got to be meth in the air along with all the other chemicals (either from the cooking process or them using it).  At least then, if you swab the vents and find nothing, you can probably assume that you didn't have a meth lab.  If you do find meth, it could still be someone who only used, but then you could pursue a more in depth test.

This is just a theory, though.

Silver Super Contributor
ptiemann

I suspect that the OP's property is an REO and they put this disclosure there to cover themselves.

I bought one property this year where it was 100% obvious that it had been a marijuana growth house, the whole county knows it and yet the bank made me sign a "Seller is not aware of .. pot growth/ meth lab".

OP: is your property an REO? Does it appear that they did some clean up? (mine was not cleaned up the least, watering instructions were still taped to the walls)

If there was no clean up, then it should be fairly easy to tell if it was a growth house or a meth lab. Google for images of meth labs and you will see what to look for. I think the test costs $150.

There's also the thinking that a house could be meth contaminated if it was not a LAB but occupied by meth CONSUMERS. You will find this being discussed on the web.

Contributor
BA_buyer

No, it's not REO, and the house is clean, nothing is left. Maybe, I'm just paranoid, but I need to be sure that the house my family is moving in is safe, and there would be no tragic surprises. Better be safe than sorry. $150 is not a problem, but I guess that the professional testing would be more expensive... I prefer to have the testing done and if nothing is found, enjoy our new home. Otherwise, we can sue the seller for failing to disclose it.