Silver Contributor
andyvphil

Disappearing information

I notice http://www.redfin.com/CA/Pacifica/46-San-Jose-Ave-94044/home/1813978 is listed as having been on the market 32 days. Which is strange, because as MLSListings #80909334 it was on the market for at least three different prices just under $649k from 2/23/09 through some time in June. Now, I know Redfin has agreed to to list prices for defunct listing, but usually they will show listing and delisting dates. Why not in this case?
Contributor
merlin

Re: Disappearing information

There may some real reasons for doing this ... but to the casual observer it serves as obfuscation at best.

Price revisions are seen on active listings. On inactive listings, only sales are seen (such as http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/1526-Schramm-Way-95127/home/1864518).

In your case, the new MLS# hides any price revisions.  

If someone can tune in as to why listings change MLS# that would be great.

Otherwise, the intention is just to mislead and hide information that might otherwise be useful.

There are lots of pieces of information withheld from the public listings. 

Silver Contributor
andyvphil

It has a new listing broker, hence the new MLS#. But this doesn't explain why the previous listing has disappeared from the property history. It's common for previous listings to show with a deleted MLS# and deleted price data. Why not this time, Redfin?
Redfin Staff
JimLamb

In this particular case the previous listing #80909334 was not actually taken off the market, but instead changed to be "Agent Only", which means that MLS rules prohibit us from showing any information about that listing (including the listing date and any dates about price changes).

In general we will always show as much previous listing information as rules allow about a listing. You can always post in the forums if something strange appears to be going on.

Jim Lamb | Product Manager

Jim Lamb | Redfin Product Manager
Contributor
BarkNuggets

I can't speak to the disappearing info, but can speak to the property as I walked thru it last Sunday.

Owner died and had been renting out rooms to tenants who still remain on property.  The day before the open house I observed one of the tenants out  angrily gesticulating at the empty sky.  After the close of the open house she was again seated out in front of the property talking to "an imaginary friend."  So you'll have to deal with that kind of tenant situation. 

House is a complete wreck and in my non-professional opinion is a tear-down.  There was a notebook provided with the termite and other inspection reports and I just remember seeing pages and pages of problems including wood-beetle infestation with the recommended remedy being tenting/vikane gas.  I just stopped reading at that point. 

House reeked of cigarettes.  Bare matresses on floors.  Threadbare carpets with paint tracked everywhere.  Wiring strung/thrown over roof-tops.  Looked like a "crash pad."

Silver Contributor
andyvphil

JimLamb wrote:

In this particular case the previous listing #80909334 was not actually taken off the market, but instead changed to be "Agent Only", which means that MLS rules prohibit us from showing any information about that listing (including the listing date and any dates about price changes).

In general we will always show as much previous listing information as rules allow about a listing. You can always post in the forums if something strange appears to be going on.

So you're saying the MLS rules allow you to hide how long a property has been on the market by starting a new listing and, instead of truthfully marking the old listing as defunct, making it an invisible zombie by marking it "Agent Only"? Who has oversight on MLS practices?

Silver Contributor
andyvphil

You don't tear a house down because it has threadbare carpets. Or a crazy tenant. And plenty of houses get tented. The house has some problems, but 10-15% of the purchase price should be enough to take care of them, IMHO.
Silver Contributor
RMS

I used to rent 2 blocks from there right on the beach. Never again, while beautiful on clear days even the bushes rusted. My kitchen floor was filled with salt every single day, came in through the vents. The walls were so damp you could put your finger through in some places. They built new houses that looked 100 yrs old in a year.
Regular Contributor
NewBooty

andyvphil wrote:

JimLamb wrote:

So you're saying the MLS rules allow you to hide how long a property has been on the market by starting a new listing and, instead of truthfully marking the old listing as defunct, making it an invisible zombie by marking it "Agent Only"? Who has oversight on MLS practices?

As I said before don't forget where you are and who runs this show. And I would suggest that everyone read up on the MLS and you will see where their loyalty lies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_Listing_Service

Silver Contributor
andyvphil

Well, it seems the DoJ oversees certain aspects of MLS listings: http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/nar.htm

The interesting question is whether it is a violation of the Final Judgement for the MLS to provide false data for, e.g., days on the market.