Regular Contributor
Kenji4861

Angies List Access Discount

Just got an email that Angie's List is offering a 25% off coupon.

You can combine it with Paypal payment to get an extra 20% off.

That makes a year membership only $17.40!  Percentage wise, it's a good discount :smileyhappy:

http://www.spoofee.com/deals-Year_Membership_to_Angies_List_for_17_40-796874.htm

Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

Re: Angies List Access Discount

Angie's List is overrated.  On any internet referral service people can make up their own reviews.  It is better to get a referral from someone you know that has had a good experience with a contractor than to rely on anonymous internet people.

Silver Regular Contributor
sfsfr

I'd skip Angie's List. I joined for a month and the number of reviews is pretty sparse. In addition, you have to pay extra to look at businesses in different areas than the one you register for. Say you want to look up a contractor in the East Bay but you're registered on the Peninsula - you won't be able to see the reviews. Finally, they make you call them to cancel, it is a hard-sell type of company. Yelp is just as good if not better IMO, you just need to take the reviews with a grain of salt (unrealistic customers wanting revenge, etc.).
Silver Regular Contributor
Fishmarty

[ Edited ]

These days after search any internet review on any service you want to go to, you just don't know what the review tells you.

My example is that my Labrador retriever dog got an ear infection and we went to American Animal Hospital at Fremont. Flush ear and gave antibiotic pills for a week, meanwhile took a test, $450 and no improvement. Back to Hospital and vet said test indicated our dog has three kinds of bacteria and pills were ineffective. Changed to new pills for $110 and another week no improvement. Back to Hospital and vet issued same pills for $200 (the new one) and said keep going for another two weeks to see effect.

We googled to find reviews on all animal clinics nearby, the found overall review on AAH horrible (more than 20 out of 50 people there cursed and xx words and 'how comes AAH is still in business). Ok, I told my wife, when we used up all the pills and if no improvement we will give up on AAH and switch to Central Vet (which received best review).

Well by the end of pills dog's ear healed. No more red swollen and scratching. Done!

You know, the overall review is based on at least 50 people's comments on their experiences, so you think it is fair and trust worthy.

I am not sure next time I will ever use these internet reviews. Before internet, we don't have much information; with it now we are overwhelmed and simply don't know how to put up with sea of comments.

Silver Contributor
Sammy555

I was considering joining Angie's List when I first became a homeowner 2 years ago, but when I looked up reviews on them I found a lot of complaints concerning the number of reviews they have and - more disturbingly - the difficulty of canceling one's membership with them after they have your credit card number. Just google the words "Angie's list reviews" or "Angie's list complaints"  and you'll see what I mean.

I've been pretty happy using Yelp. I found a good local plumber and good local electrician through them, as well as a good company to install a thick vapor barrier and sump pump in my crawl space. A one-year membership with Yelp is only $0.00 ! Say that Sammy555 sent you to them, and they'll give you an additional 50% discount!

Silver Trusted Contributor
SamShuehRealtor

[ Edited ]

ANGIES LIST:

I agree with comments posted. Many repairs are of  emergency nature. The bigs guys are asleep and only one or two will even respond. Their rating may be marginal. However, if you are as knowledable as the them speak on the same wave length as those guys they can not fool you. 

YELP:

In a somewhat related topic with realtors, I am not sure YELP is doing justice for realtors.  

For real estate transactions, you need to look at the credentials the agents carry.Each credential is one more level of achievement.  Experience is everything. YELP posts often brand new agent gets ***** with no prior sale experience.  Most likely they wrote up these flowerly sentences themselves. Everyone is a top 1% producer with no or little sales. The real negative ones are posted by those after having an awful experience by warning others not to use them. Some may be legit and most are circumstantial. Agents also can filter these bad reviews.  

REDFIN:

Redfin postings may be more legit. But they do fire % of their agents who get caught on their feedback, If the agents sells 169 homes a year, I rather prefer someone who can commit more time on fewer transactions with no hicups.

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

People...........You are dealing with people! And one little thing they didn't like ruins somebody's fame as a "whatever". There's nothing like knowing a painter or a carpet cleaner from other people you know. Word of mouth is the best, not word of finger.

Platinum Contributor
elt1

Are there any legit carpet cleaners or do they all go to same Dale Carnigie school of upsale  bull**bleep**? Seriously does anyone recommend one?

Gold Contributor
mediaguru

I used Angie's List with a similar discount.  Pretty much useless.  Practically zero reviews in my area, and then when I went to cancel my membership, they made it very difficult (nearly impossible.)

The one (free) site that I have enjoyed using is ServiceMagic.com (now called HomeAdvisor.com) -- I always get plenty of options/contractors listed for the jobs I need done, and they usually contact me pretty quickly.  There are reviews built in and, from my experience, they seem pretty honest and accurate (ie. no BS, which is more than I can say for Yelp... Yelp has some, let's just say, "shady" business practices)

It's a nice setup.

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

elt1 wrote:

Are there any legit carpet cleaners or do they all go to same Dale Carnigie school of upsale  bull**bleep**? Seriously does anyone recommend one?

The one who cleaned our carpet at the rental place had his wife, mother and father working with him. I was amazed at the results, that carpet had been neglected by the management company, and after 8 years they just said to us it's OK, use it, we'll replace it when you leave. Yeah, when we leave to heaven maybe. The manager was so pleased the carpet was still useable.

Today, as any painter with a few months of experience, they get independent, buy a truck with all the cleaning apparatus and there they go!