Contributor
kevinzhu

cost to run AC for a 3000 sqft home

I am considering moving to texas and I was told that it costs a lot to run AC to cool down a house in Texas during the summer.

Could anyone give me an estimate of how much AC costs? I like to have <75F

Thanks

Visitor
Mmcgown

Re: cost to run AC for a 3000 sqft home

Texas is not like Rhode Island. Costs can vary hugely depending on where in Texas you mean and whether you are buying from a coop or a nonregulated utility. In central Texas on a coop, I pay a flat $210 per month to keep my 3000 soft home at 75 degrees all year round, which sometimes means a/c many days in winter as well as all of spring, summer, and fall.
Visitor
Ana_Chaney

This question has many variables that are needed to provide an accurate estimate.  The weather patterens (last year we had 40+ 100 degree days, this year only a handful), the quality of your A/C unit, the quality of your home construction/insulation, who provides your electric, etc, etc.....

I know  of people who have paid $200/month to cool an apartment to 75deg in the summertime.  And, I have personal expirience with a 2400sqft house costing $450/month to cool to 78deg.

So, your real answer is probably in a range from $200-$600.

New Visitor
Cloud

This might help you out. Ran across this when we were looking at Austin energy audit providers.We did niot select this company but they had some interesting information about average cost to cool home:

www.coolmenow.com/free-energy-audit/

"Quick Energy Calculation

Austin Energy customers can use this rule of thumb to know if your system is working efficiently. Your highest summer electric bill should be about $0.07 per square foot – or about $140 for a 2,000 square foot home. If your bills are higher than this, call us for a free energy audit."